This summer and fall, an amazing opportunity awaits travelers aboard the Amtrak Downeaster – the Great Dome Car is back! Connecting Boston, Massachusetts and Brunswick, Maine four times daily between August 11 and September 23, the Great Dome Car will offer a view of Northern New England like few have ever seen.
The vintage Dome features an upper level with windows on all sides (including the roof) that will offer passengers panoramic views of the scenic villages, coastline, marshes, streams and landscapes located all along the Downeaster route. The seats in the upper level of the Dome Car are available at no extra cost, but are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
The only remaining dome car in Amtrak service, the Great Dome car was previously used on the Chicago to Seattle “Empire Builder” route. It was built in 1955 by the Budd Company for the Great Northern and carried the name “Ocean View”. It was conveyed to Amtrak in 1971, renovated in 1985, and used in daily service on the Amtrak Auto Train to and from the Washington, DC and Orlando, FL, areas through 1994. It was further refurbished in 1999 and has been used on various Amtrak services including the Pacific Surfliner and Downeaster, plus other charters and excursions.
Make sure to book early as journeys that include the Great Dome Car will sell out quickly! If you’re looking for ideas, why not consider one of the following popular Downeaster Travel Packages:
- 6-Day Ports of Maine by Rail (stays in Freeport, Portland & Kennebunkport plus touring and meals)
- 2-Day Book of Mormon Boston Theater Overnight (one night in Boston and premium theater ticket)
- 2-Day Kennebunkport Escape (one night in Kennebunkport plus touring)
- 1-Day Freedom in Boston Daytrip (NE Aquarium, Freedom Trail Tour and lunch at Faneuil Hall)
- 3-Day Portland Land & Sea Adventure (two nights in Portland plus touring and cruising)
- 2-Day Best of Boston Overnight (one night in Boston plus touring)
- 9-Day City Lights and Maine Coast Sites (stays in Boston, Portland, Camden and Bar Harbor plus touring)